Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Lambing 2010

Posted by crazysheep 
Re: Lambing 2010
15 February, 2010 10:32PM
Not at all! that's exactly what this thread is for!
Cherry the new year lamb is still growing, unfortunately her eartags have bent her ears! I hope they will straighten as they grow!

Here she is wondering what mum is shouting about!

and another, just waiting for tea...

The latest arrival, a ram lamb to one of my first timers...

We're on a 'G' year, so christened him 'Gabriel'.

16 February, 2010 06:38PM
Lovely! Really lovely!
21 February, 2010 10:49PM
We're off now! Lambs arriving en masse! had the first set of twins today, and 4 singles at the end of last week.

Fickle and her little ewe lamb..

Bramble with her larger ewe lamb!

Holly walking out of shot, but her little ram lamb is already a poser! the bent ear kind of spoils it!

and Bracken's bundle of joy, a ram lamb i've christened 'Garfield'

He's got one of those cute faces...aahhhh!

22 February, 2010 08:39AM
Garfield is just lovely!

Thanks for that - very cute in the red macks.

Stephanie
22 February, 2010 12:48PM
Hi Crazysheep,
Your lambs look lovely -- all credit to you.

Jackie
22 February, 2010 05:50PM
Loved the photos, thank you. Amazing lack of MUD, or is that careful editing?!
Your sheep have such good names too. Am still trying to decide what the theme for 2010 will be here!
22 February, 2010 10:41PM
Trust me, there's more mud than grass...the lambing field is like a bowls mat!
24 February, 2010 08:48PM
We have just had our first ever Greyface Dartmoor lambs. We arrived at the barn this morning to find one of the ewes had given birth to two very noisey Ram Lambs. Our Maternity Ward is now in full swing with another 3 looking ready to burst!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/02/2010 08:54PM by Sicknote.
24 February, 2010 10:49PM
Excellent! they look bonny.
I always find the anticipation frazzles the nerves somewhat! - is it just me?
25 February, 2010 08:28AM
No, it's not just you, we have 4 children and my wife says that the anticipation is worse than waiting for a baby!
25 February, 2010 11:48AM
Hi Sicknote,
Well done you ----ewe looks very proud of her newborns.-- your children must be thrilled!

Lambing time for me is the most demanding, and rewarding time of the year. ( resorted to extra chocolate in my porridge mornings!)

About half way through now --- 67 lambs in total so far (7 Dartmoors--all singles except one twin).

Most lambs good and strong ---but have my usual" trail of lambs" waiting for a"slurp" off the bottle !

Intensive care cardboard box -"-Bumble "---- could be first "dwarf" dartmoor! ---
(single lamb out of first time lamber)
Hmmm-- I will do the best I can for him.

"Slightly frazzled "Jackie

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 25/02/2010 12:20PM by Tilly Thomsett.
25 February, 2010 01:17PM
Oh he is very cute! Funny - how they are cute when they are someone elses problem!!!smiling smiley

Stephanie
25 February, 2010 05:48PM
Well had another double this afternoon, two Ram Lambs again!, but not such a good day in all as the lambs from yesterday one had died sad smiley and the other rejected by his mother so we too have an emergency ward, thought we had just about finished with bottles!
26 February, 2010 05:12AM
Well lambing is certainly in full swing now. sorry about your losses Sicknote - it's always sad when that happens.

Little ewe lamb (twin) born yesterday morning at 5.45 a.m.

26 February, 2010 08:53AM
What fabulous photograph Lynne and at 5.45am! What camera and what lens are you using?

Stephanie
26 February, 2010 10:52AM
Lovely photos everyone, keep them coming. Let's hope the losses are few and far between.
Still another 3 weeks to go before we start....better catch up on sleep now!

Out of curiosity does anyone ever notice a trend in the time their lambs are born?
I heard a report a few years ago that suggested there 'might' be link between the time(s) you feed the ewes and the time they give birth.
On the whole over the past 4 years most of my ewes have given birth in the afternoon - very civilised, long may it continue!!
One or two did lamb in the morning last year but even then no earlier than 7am.
The only times we have had lambs late at night have been when there have been problems and even with these the ewes went into labour in the afternoon.

I think I'll keep to my feeding regime 'just in case'!
26 February, 2010 04:19PM
My first lamb was born on Monday with no problems - thank goodness! The first of the Bramblecot flock - a ram lamb that looks huge to me, and gorgeous of course.

I have been trying to post some photos but have got stuck with photobucket at the last hurdle (thanks Lynne, for your helpful post last year). I keep getting the codes but no pictures - can anyone help please?

Thanks

Jean

26 February, 2010 04:22PM
Me again! What an idiot! I have wasted hours trying to do this and the photos were there all the time. There will be no stopping me now. I just have to try and resize them to fit the screen.

Jean
26 February, 2010 04:42PM
Just practising sending photos (my excuse anyway). It has been quite daunting having my own flock with no experience of sheep. Taking on this in my 50's has been a big challenge!

I would like to thank Lynne for the photo advice; Hillary for moral support via messages; Crazysheep for supplying my lovely starter flock, for her patience with my unending questions, and generosity with advice and practical help.

Mum and the barn cat getting to know each other. Cherry and Bramblecot Acer.

Jean
26 February, 2010 04:42PM
Hi Bramblecot,
If you get the IMG code with your message ---- press preview and the picture should appear with your message as it will be seen on the forum.
You can resize it before or even after it has been posted.
hope this helps
Jackie---What a smashing lamb you have got!
26 February, 2010 05:20PM
Hello Jean

Well done you!

I love the way Mum is posing for the pic in the last one.

Stephanie
26 February, 2010 06:51PM
Saffy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What fabulous photograph Lynne and at 5.45am!
> What camera and what lens are you using?
>
> Stephanie

Just my pin hole camera, Stephanie!!!

No only joking! It's my late fathers Leica V-Lux 1. It's the same one I always use. Really pleased with her - she has a lovely broad head.

Sunnyside ram is her sire.smiling smiley
26 February, 2010 07:10PM
Hurrah, well done Jean! That's a terrific picture of Acer, he looks great.
Seeing all the photos makes me wish away the next fortnight until our due start date. As the ram managed to loose not just the raddle crayon but the entire plate off the front of the harness, and I couldn't get to the agric merchant for a replacement, it's going to be guesswork this year. The anticipation until the first ewe lambs is nerve wracking, but once they start I'll be OK.
26 February, 2010 11:29PM
What a handsome fellow Acer is! Well done Jean!

Some more mug shots of new arrivals...

Viola's ewe lamb born this morning, missing the trademark black nose and squinting at the flash!

Bryony and her twin, ewe lamb front, ram lamb behind.

Fancy's twin of ram lambs...

Tamarisk (Tammy), my oldest ewe, and her twin of ewe lambs...

Honeysuckle with her ram lamb...

and a fresh arrival this morning, a ewe lamb belonging to Sorrel (not wanting her bottom washed!)

27 February, 2010 06:50AM
Lovely lambs there Crazysheep. Love the first one - looks like she is smiling!!!smiling smiley

Here is my smiler!

Jean glad to see you can post pics. Great shot of the lamb looking straight into the camera!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 27/02/2010 09:10AM by Lynne Jackson.
27 February, 2010 01:08PM
in answer to your question Hayley Hay- Tor
I think you`ve been very lucky to only have ewes lamb during the day ---they might be plotting something different for you this year!

--- but I do seem to get "clusters of lambing", followed by a lull .
Jackie
28 February, 2010 07:21AM
Do you remember tiny Bumble,
Well he`s been improving daily ---

He is strong enough to stand and suckle himself now -- looks like he`s going to "pull through".
Possible turning point in his health ----new pin up girl !
-

-------Sweet Dreams Bumble!

His mother Lilly is making more milk, so each day I encourage him to suckle and he is spending more time with her --- she adores him.smiling smiley
Jackie
28 February, 2010 07:42AM
That is brilliant - it is so hard to keep Mum interested when the lamb is too weak to stay with her!

Stephanie
28 February, 2010 10:29AM
Jackie,

Lovely photos, well done with little Bumble, please keep them coming.
Found my second ewe with new born ewe twins yesterday afternoon (4 days early) and showing no interest in them - just scoffing her face and wandering off. What a saga to get them into the barn safely - she gave birth right next to the fox/deer run from neighbour's fields at the farthest point from the barn! She licked them clean but then was completely disinterested for 2 hours.

I mucked up putting the photos on the computer (again) but will try later.

Jean
28 February, 2010 03:40PM
I'll go along with Hayley Haytor that the time of day the ewes are fed can affect when they lamb. I was told the same thing by an experienced neighbouring farmer. Whether there's a good biological reason or not I'll stick to the pattern as it seems to work on the whole.
Jean, there's nothing a sheep likes better than putting the shepherd to inconvenience, lambing in a ditch or a patch of stinging nettles or as far away as possible just to keep us on our toes. I do hope she takes to the twins and they go on OK. Sometimes Dartmoors can be a bit TOO laid back. You could try putting a (sensible) dog in to encourage the ewe to defend her lambs (although when I attempted this with my collie and a recalcitrant Manx ewe rejecting her lamb, the dog refused to co-operate and looked at me as if to say "you must be joking, I've got more sense than to interfere with her!")
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login