Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Lambing 2008

Posted by crazysheep 
Lambing 2008
06 March, 2008 09:54PM
Here's one of my first ewes to lamb, but the lamb decided she was either hungry or camera shy!

Thought i would add one of the lambs out on the first dry day after lambing started ( note the trendy jackets!)

Re: Lambing 2008
07 March, 2008 06:15PM
They look a lovely set of lambs...I'm jealous, mine don't start coming for another two weeks.
09 March, 2008 10:49AM
Lovely lambs there Crazysheep. Nice and clean! Here are a few of mine out and about this week! I will be glad to get the last one lambed today. She is pushing as I write this!

I must say my Cardwell ram has produced some lovely lambs for two years running now. They all seem to have very round faces and are nicely marked.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2008 11:10AM by Lynne Jackson.
09 March, 2008 03:32PM
And the very last one lambed at 1.00 p.m. this afternoon. Two ewe lambs!

09 March, 2008 07:27PM
Two months after buying my first Greyface Dartmoors, 3 Ewes and a Tup, I now have 3 more after my first to lamb had triplets ( 2 ewes and a ram).
Is this common in the Greyface?
After taking some advice from Arthur who I bought the mother from I took the Ram Lamb away after 24 hours to hand rear.

This is Milly and triplets.

And this is Alvin who we are hand rearing, quite content in our kitchen.

P.S. Any advice on hand rearing would be most welcome!!
11 March, 2008 05:15PM
I've only handreared one lamb successfully, a sweet ewe lamb called Rosie. I let her remain with the flock but fed her every three hours. She very quickly learnt that me appearing meant food. She was offered lamb creep early on and went onto eat creep with only a top up bottle feed in the mornings & evenings. The unsuccessful ones I've had tended to blow up with gas (too much feed) try to feed little & often. Getting diahorrea (I think thats to do with infection in the gut) and sometimes dying for no reason at all. One of the best ideas is to get one of those 'shepardess' machines which allows the lamb to fed as & when it wants - you just top it up. He looks robust though, so good luck and remember he'll become a pain when he is bigger.
11 March, 2008 07:48PM
This is a ewe lamb, very cute but what about her nose! will the pink go?

And here's 'the gang' (bigger now!) having fun.

The lamb furthest left is a poll Dorset/GFD cross (very tasty!)
11 March, 2008 08:01PM
I'd agree with keeping a bottle reared lamb with the flock, best of all with Mum, but it might be a bit late to put him back now. With the few triplets I have experienced I left them all with Mum but topped up the smallest/weakest from the bottle, and yes they quickly learn that wellies + bottle = grub's up. Little, often and scrupulously clean helps. And then if they do survive and thrive they become a thorough menace to your kneecaps! Best of luck.
12 March, 2008 06:35AM
That pink usually goes crazysheep!

As for bottle feeding and triplets, I have, in the past, left triplets with the ewwe and supplemented the smallest. That is by far the best way. And, if the ewe is young, she usually copes. This year however, I took one of the triplets away from a ewe because she is older and my friend is bottle feeding him.

Lovely photo of all your lambs on the straw bale by the way, crazysheep!!
12 March, 2008 05:28PM
I like it! that's not the lot though! we've got 19 ewe lambs and 10 males at the moment, with 6 ewes left to pop!
12 March, 2008 07:01PM
Thanks for all the advice.

We have been bottle feeding 4 times a day so far with 350ml feeds and have introduced some feed today (7 days old) which he is nibbling at.

He seems to be thriving going from birth weight 3.5kg to 5.5kg as of today.
Unfortunately mother no longer wants to know him. I put him out in the field today but with the weather being so bad brought him in about 6pm.

My other two are due to lamb this weekend so hopefully by the start of the week I will have him in the field 24/7 with plenty of playmates.

We tried to castrate yesterday ( rubber banding), but could only get one testicle. Any tips on when the second will drop, we are also running out of time as it meant to be done by 7 days of age.

P.S. These are not only my first Greyface Dartmoors but also my first ever sheep, so might I be being over careful?
13 March, 2008 07:11AM
If you aren't sure how to do the rubber banding I would suggest you go to the vet so they can show you. It's easier once you have seen a procedure demonstrated.

350 ml sounds quite a lot at one go for a small lamb!!! Better to feed little an often to try and mimic natural feeding otherwise he will suffer with bloat eventually.

Good luck with the rest of your lambing!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/03/2008 07:12AM by Lynne Jackson.
13 March, 2008 07:20PM
Thanks for the advice.
As I say I'm new to keeping sheep.
I have now cut him down to 250ml feeds and he is now out in the field full time.
As to the rubber banding, I hope to have another go tomorrow with my sister in law who is a vet.
I also received a call today to tell me DARD are coming out to retest for bluetongue.
All imports since the F&M import ban was lifted are now being retested all over N Ireland.
14 March, 2008 06:02PM
I have a couple of lambs with very bent/bowed front legs. I have never seen it before in 10 years! anyone know why and if there's any treatment? They were just born when i noticed it! (from 2 seperate ewes by 2 different rams)
14 March, 2008 07:21PM
Are they ram lambs???
14 March, 2008 07:54PM
Crazysheep - you mention your lambs with bowed legs and that they are by 2 different tups.

Assuming that is an absolute definate. Could it still be an inherited probelm?

Ask yourself are the tups related? If so how closely?

Are the ewes related? If so how closely?

Also is it possible that your pasture/feeding regime could possibly be deficient in any nutrients?

Are they bent in the bone or on the joint? If on the joint gentle bending and straightening out of the joint as much as it is able, a couple of times a day may well speed them on their way to recovery.

Good luck with them.
15 March, 2008 07:58AM
One is a ram lamb, and his twin sister is also affected. The other is one of a super twin of ewe lambs, her sister is fine. The sires/dams are completely unrelated to each other on both sides. It is difficult to ascertain if it is bone or joint, so i'm going to nip one in to the vet and see if i can get a diagnosis.
15 March, 2008 05:19PM
How did you get on, in particular what was the diagnosis and are they going to be OK?
16 March, 2008 07:05AM
From what I have read it could be "bent leg" which can be caused by a lack of calcium???? I Googled bent legs in lambs - apparently happens more in ram lambs which is why I had asked the previous question.

A friend of mine used pipe lagging - you know the sort that you put round central heating pipes to help straighten one of her lambs legs once but I think that was because it was a huge Texel lamb and its legs had been sort of "folded up" before he was born and he couldn't stand properly when born. It did work though.

Hope that the vet can give you some advice. I am sure everyone would be interested to know the outcome.
16 March, 2008 09:35AM
The vet was next to hopeless! The best twin of ewe lambs i have, one is fine, the other has one crooked front leg. The bones are fine, there's no swelling or inflammation in any of the joints. The vet said leave them and see how they grow! not what you want to hear about lambs you potentially want to show!
17 March, 2008 04:31PM
A few years back one of my lambs (a ram) was born with funny bent front legs and walked like a crab (bent knees the wrong way)and these straightened on their own in 7 days. Unfortunately he didn't do well as a sheep and eventually died in the field.
17 March, 2008 06:11PM
Hmmm! Finally got a couple of pics (not best quality!)
First, a front shot showing bent leg.....

Now one of her with her sister - note how straight her sister's legs are!

The thing i don't understand (and neither could the vet) is why it's just one leg.
17 March, 2008 06:13PM
I've heard the pipe lagging recommendation too, from someone who tried it successfully on a lamb with a bent leg. Their vet thought that as it was a big lamb it had probably been cramped inside the ewe and that it would straighten in time. I guess it depends a bit on the severity of the problem; how crooked is it? A year or two ago we had a big single lamb who was bent over at the knees at birth, although not so much she couldn't walk - they gradually straightened out and she survived and grew up fine. Hope yours go on OK.
17 March, 2008 07:04PM
Yep, I'd pipe lag that leg looks the same as my friend's lamb was. It will give it a chance to straighten. But may be it is a bit late now - not sure. The stuff I mean is foam and you cut it down one side to open it up encase the lamb's leg in it and tape it up - but make sure the leg isn't squeezed too tight!
21 March, 2008 07:47PM
Lovely photo's lots of lovely black noses - i dont know how to put photos on the forum yet but am pleased with all my lambs no black knees this year and all lambs of a good size - have just finished lambing - lambed 25 ewes and have 39 lambs mixture of rams and ewe lambs half and half - worry is will there be anywhere to sell them this year with all the restrictions all i need now is some grass - my rented land is not available until 1/4/08 so the corn is out as is the haulage - weather this weekend is not good for the lambies
22 March, 2008 04:45PM
Good job Dartmoor lambs are tough! I've been trying to get some pipe lagging for my lamb's leg, but can't get any big enough! i think it is starting to straighten on it's own, but it could be my wishful thinking!
23 March, 2008 11:06AM
This lamb is only half GFD its Mum is Texel but isn't it cute!

lamb
23 March, 2008 06:10PM
Gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous! Obviously takes after its dad then!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/03/2008 06:10PM by Lynne Jackson.
23 March, 2008 06:20PM
She certainly does take after her Dad doesn't she!

Also she is her Mums first and we were told that 95% of the Texels from the flock she came from need help first time round!!!

Well she lambed by herself, so perhaps the GFD should be marketed as THE tup to use for easy first lambings?!! Its a thought.
23 March, 2008 10:04PM
I had 10 first time ewes to lamb this year, and they all produced unaided. 26 of my girls have lambed, and i only had to assist one with a head back to deliver a lively twin. Only 2 to go.....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login